The Aquarium Of Rhodes
The aquarium of Rhodes is a journey into the underwater world
In the district of Neohori . the northernmost point of Rhodes town . on a sandy promontory, jutting out into the sea, is the First Hydrobiological station of Rhodes and known as the Aquarium.
The aquarium of Rhodes is not only a research station, where scientists are conducting various studies, but also an interesting Museum that offers a journey into the exciting and unusual underwater world, with rare species of fish and other marine fauna.
It was impressive to see the underground part of the aquarium, where 25 special tanks with sea water, embedded in the wall, represents the wealth of the underwater world not only Greek, but also tropical sea.
Among the most interesting instances of echinoderms, fishes (including stingrays postovalova, family smetankovyi, Gubanova, shanovia, parrot fish, kefalovrisia, sea cocks, and senologie edinorosov), coral polyps, gastropods and cephalopods, the family of crabs and sea turtles.
No less interest is the exhibition located on the 1st floor of the Aquarium, which includes stuffed marine mammals and large fishes, and also shells, corals, and Oceanographic instruments and appliances.
Akvariumas is one of the few existing in Greece; is a division of the Greek National centre of marine research.
The construction of the building, representing the combination of local architecture and the architecture of the art Deco style (synthesis of art Nouveau and Neoclassicism) . it was initiated by Governor Rhodes Mario Lago in 1934 . during the occupation of the Dodecanese by the Italians (1912-1943.), and completed in 1935.
At the time, Hydrobiological station of Rhodes, was called “the Royal Institute of biological research” (“Reale Istituto di Ricerche Biologiche di Rodi”).
The Institute began operating in 1937 as a research center, doing biological and hydrological studies associated with the Aegean sea, and the fishing of sponges, fish-breeding and fisheries, agricultural entomology, etc. in addition, in the aquarium, despite its small size, were collected and submitted samples of Mediterranean flora and fauna.
With the accession of the Dodecanese to Greece, the institution was transferred to the Greek state under the supervision of the Athens Academy, as the Hydrobiological Institute of Greece.
Since 1963 the Institute started to operate under the current name of the Hydrobiological station of Rhodes (Aquarium-Museum), the research arm of the Mediterranean sea, with research programs covering all aspects of Oceanography in the area of the Dodecanese.
The appearance of the building remained unchanged until 1971, when its Northern part was built exhibition hall and a pool for seals.
The Ministry of culture of Greece has recognized the Aquarium building is a historical monument and example of the international architectural style by including him in the list of monuments of cultural heritage.